Friday 16 January 2015

Directors Unit (my idea so far)

Project Titile:
A Heroes Tale


Chosen Director Style - Peter Jackson

When it comes to Peter's work, he is very colourful and always has an eye for detail when it comes his films. The visuals are always a sight to behold his visions are always seen thought each specific shot and his characters for me are always enjoyable to watch.

But when shooting a film almost entirely though his eyes I thought this could be the challenge I could take on.

When it came to location I knew that I needed a country, shire, farm looking place to capture the New Zealand feel to it.

Now the key stylistic and creative methodology surrounding my Director that I will draw into my project. The style will mostly conceit of outdoor exteriors and show slow yet smooth camera panning and tracking shots, following the character as he goes through his daily commute.

The look will be colourful and bright but yet detailed. I will be using the SONY EX as I would like to use more focus on other surrounding rather than a single point when I used my Nikon D5200 for "The Meeting"








The Lovely Bones - 2009













The Adventures of Tintin 2011




















The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of The Ring 2001























The Lovely Bones 2009



Here is an example from "The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey", the scene will hopefully show what kind of camera movements I will be using and the look and detail to hit when it come to editing.








My Character(s):

Main Character (Hero/ Loner):

Hobbit - Jacob Poole 

The Reason I picked Jacob was because he was just the right size and has some experience when it comes to acting in the media industry but not much which is where a lot of my directing will come in.

He has got the right attitude and has the edge I need for a hero/ loner character. He also had the costume design that I needed as well so he could just put it on and he would be a Hobbit character all the way through.




























Cameo: 

Gandalf - Lawrence Sedgwick (Me)































Extra:

Secondary character for Dialogue Scene - Lisa Huntley



I have chosen Lisa as she has experience of acting before and is looking to do more and I think this part is right up her alley, I have known Lisa for quite a while and in terms of directing she can understand me and present herself well. I wanted her to play an elfish role, as like a companion to the hero near to the end of his journey.



















Crew:
Cinematographer/ Cameraman - Antony Goldsmith





























Sound - Not appointed yet.





Story - Character:
Story and chosen sequence -

Hero, Daily Commute

Character goes through a daily journey to search for his meaning in life. He meets up with his companion to finish his journey and discover who he truly is.

Using the location to my advantage I will try to show a beautiful visual journey about a character finding his own path. I wanted the story to represent the way a Director finds his own voice but from within story.


How I will introduce my character:
In a very gentle yet mysterious way, I will use panning shots to show parts of my character as well as his surroundings to describe what type of person he is. After he gets up, I will use tracking shots, which will follow him and finally the last bit of tracking will be the camera panning up to reveal his face, symbolising the journeys beginning.


Idea shots for beginning:































































Story - Sequence:
About the sequence:
Using the daily commute sequence I would show the journey of finding this hero's voice though the art of story telling. There will be forests, fields and lakes, as this character travels to find his inner soul as a hero, symbolising a film director finding his voice.


Using mostly tracking shots and wide panning shots to show the background, it will help show the style of Peter Jackson because when it came to things like Lord of The Rings and King Kong, Peter Jackson showed me that film could be sometimes more than a story but an adventure which is what I often find in his films. Seeing if they can take me out of my seat and into the minds of the characters and feel like I am going with them on an epic adventure to far away places.



Here is an example from Lord of The Rings to show the type of visual style I would be going for in this part of the film.








Here are also some shot possibilities for the sequence filming:































Story - Conversation:
About the Dialogue scene:

There will be a introduction to Lisa's character (The Companion) who will meet up with the main character and will talk to him about what he is doing and how he is finding his voice. Eventually the main character will continue and finish his journey but will bring his companion with him.

When it comes to the conversation, it will involve mostly still shots (Mid Shots, Over The Shoulder shots,  and close ups of the characters faces).


Here is a potential shot ending for my dialogue scene:
































My Location -


Location Possibilities:


Gore Farm -  Rainham



























Kent Life - Kent's Premier Heritage Farm Attraction - Maidstone 























Capstone Farm Country Park - Chatham 
























Sound Design:


I have plenty of royalty free music that represents country middle earth with a sight pinch of adventure. At the beginning it will be slow but as the adventure goes further the music will be more upbeat and faster until the climax at the end when the music will get slower again and then have a gentle ending.

here is a example from the second Hobbit film, at the beginning for the title sequence:
( 00:00 - 01:12)








Schedule:


Filming

Start Date - 31st January

Time Start - 10:00

End Date - 8th February




Editing

Start Date - 9th February

End Date -

1 comment:

  1. Director's vision - good research in evidence, and a clear idea of PJ's approach to directing. With the emphasis on locations and colour, it's critical you get good coverage, good locations. Check weather reports to try and avoid filming on a "dull" day.
    Casting - in terms of who you are using, it seems ok - BUT i'm concerned you are creating a story with a "hobbit" character in costume?? This seems too easy, and makes a less of a challenge of taking PJ as your choice. I rather you look for other ways to express his (PJ) style rather than simply putting in one of his very recognisble characters in the piece.... try and be more subtle. Rather than an actual Gandalf character in costume, what about a grey haired rambler with a walkign stick?? that kind of thing.
    Locations - these look appropriate and good.
    Story character - this is ok, i think. it needs more detail on what you will actually do. Not sure HOW a Loner/hero works...
    Story sequence - this works.
    story conversation - this is ok, but it needs more detail on what you will actully film. shot list/storyboard??
    overall, it's clear you know PJ's work and style, and have researched a lot. make sure though that you don't just recreate Th hobbit or LOTR, make your film - with PJ's influence. Dropping his characters into your film is tricky, and too easy...

    ReplyDelete