Thursday 23 October 2014

The Wind Rises (2013) Film Review

The Wind Rises (2013)
Film Review






Directed by Hyao Miyazaki







Animation/ Drama


Based on Japan's history on aviation in 1927 before the second world war begins, a young man named Jiro Horikoshi (voiced by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) decides to become a plane designer and dreams of making beautiful aircrafts and in the middle of all this drama with the Japanese economy he finds a love interest and it becomes a beautiful story tied around with Japanese culture. 

The historic significance to me was very interesting, recording the events of the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923 and the creation of the Japanese Zero fighter aeroplane, still marked as one of the finest aeroplanes ever made in the history of mankind.






Firstly……….. WOW!!! Why this film never got the Oscar for Best Animated Film god only knows, beaten by "Frozen" (Disney, 2013) just knowing this fact puzzles me today after I saw this final masterpiece of animation from the master himself Miyazaki.

I always loved Studio Ghibli films, always, and will going on to do so till the day I draw my last breath on this world.







The story is absolutely wonderful, Drama, Romance, Adventure, Thrills, it's all there I was literally crying at the end because it was so wonderful.

The characters are very well designed and developed, the main character Jiro at first becomes obsessed of making aeroplanes and focuses on his job but then his character becomes suddenly versatile when the wind carries him and he meets the love of his life Naoko Satomi (Emily Blunt).

The animation I shouldn't even have to talk about if you have already seen any Studio Ghibli film, the hand dawn animation is just outstanding and as usual becomes a thing of eye bursting beauty whenever you see it one the big or small screen. 

The music, I cry every time because the score just hits every scene with the right amount of feeling to it. The music was done by Joe Hisaishi who is also well known for doing "Sprited Away" (2001), "Princess Mononoke" (1997), and "Howl's Moving Castle" (2004) which are also Studio Ghibli films.
Here is an example of his work, from "Princess Mononoke" (1997):







I have yet again found a gem of a film which I will hold dear in my heart for many years to come, please even if your not a fan of animation, I employ you, at least watch this one, and I ashore you, you will not be disappointed.









To retire on a masterpiece such as this… I bow to you Hyao Miyazaki and wish the rest of your life to be filled with happiness and joy. I have a new favourite film to put in my top ten.


Final Rating for "The Wind Risies" (2013)

10 / 10







No comments:

Post a Comment